The Dink Network

Clone brain science

May 18th, 08:59 PM
knightgl.gif
zeddexx
Peasant Male New Zealand
I'm pretty sure I'm worth atleast SIX goats... 
So I dunno what led me to think about this, but here it is:

Say two clones of the same person just popped into existence inside a featureless room.
The clones are completely identical in every way both physically and mentally.
They were "spawned" both looking at each other in the middle of the room, meaning what they see and feel when spawned will be exactly the same.

Now my question is this, will the clones enter into a mirror effect once spawned? (I.E mirroring each others actions and thoughts perfectly)
If so, will they be stuck that way forever?

See if they DID you could probably introduce differing stimuli to cause a break in this effect. Like putting a picture of a kitten on the wall behind one clone, so that one clone would see it, and the other wouldn't,
which would cause the clone who saw it to act differently from the one who didn't.

Or do you think a typical human thought pattern is too randomized and unpredictable for a mirror effect to even conceivably happen?

What do you guys think?
May 18th, 10:30 PM
custom_striker.gif
Striker
Noble United States steam
Daniel, there are clowns. 
Try it with identical AI's first, I suppose.
May 18th, 10:37 PM
wizardg.gif
LeprochaUn
Peasant Male Japan xbox steam bloop
Responsible for making things not look like ass 
I think they would mirror each other if presented with the same stimuli. I think they'd even mirror at a very similar rate. You would have to present them with the exact same stimuli in the exact same order though. It would likely be much easier to test with AI as Striker suggested.
May 19th, 02:58 PM
knight.gif
KrisKnox
Peasant Male United States steam
The site's resident Therian (Dire Wolf, Dragon) 
It is generally thought that if you were to meet your own clone, that you would not recognize them as such, as the way we see ourselves is typically through a mirror, and the way we hear ourselves is typically partway through bone and external hearing, and on occasion, through mechanically assisted recordings.
Assuming little to no memory beyond spawning, they would regard the other as a stranger.
May 19th, 09:48 PM
knightgl.gif
zeddexx
Peasant Male New Zealand
I'm pretty sure I'm worth atleast SIX goats... 
What would happen if you saw your own clone in a mirror then?
May 20th, 05:20 AM
dinkdead.gif
megadogv2
Peasant Male New Zealand bloop
Only paritally dead. 
I assume, if you want them to mirror each other perfectly, that one of them must be flipped horizontally. Otherwise, they would most likely exhibit rotational symmetry around the center of the room instead, given that they both are facing each other, and so would tend to the same direction for things like left/right handed-ness and so on.
May 20th, 03:21 PM
peasantmb.gif
Or do you think a typical human thought pattern is too randomized and unpredictable for a mirror effect to even conceivably happen

I pretty much believe this to be true.
May 20th, 09:07 PM
duck.gif
toof
Peasant Male
I disagree. 
Supposing that their thoughts are same, they would act the same, and each would think that another is his reflection even if they're both in the same room. This ofcourse assumes that clones are aware of their body, and look of their face.

What would break their 'mirror-confusion\ would be the outside world. ex: a bird craps on one's head but not on another's.
May 21st, 03:53 PM
dinkdead.gif
megadogv2
Peasant Male New Zealand bloop
Only paritally dead. 
Literally any noticeable difference between them (except one's that translate, like left/right reflection) would be enough for them to eventually break symmetry. The reason they reflect is because they have the exact same information, so respond in the exact same way. Introduce a dot on a wall other than on the center line and when they investigate it they'll break symmetry.
May 25th, 05:16 PM
pq_cthunik.gif
I think they'll mirror each other for sometime initially. Then, if they have the slightest bit of curiosity, they'll try to interact with each other and that will break the mirror effect. An external stimuli might not be required.
May 27th, 04:11 AM
dinkdead.gif
megadogv2
Peasant Male New Zealand bloop
Only paritally dead. 
The issue is they'll try to interact with each other in the exact same way. Without a difference between the mirror images, they won't have any reason to take a different action to the other. It needn't be a big difference, a single hair put out of place on one of them would likely be enough to eventually break symmetry, but there would need to be something to break it.
May 27th, 01:16 PM
spike.gif
scratcher
Bard Male Finland bloop
cigarette bonca 
I think humans are probably too random. Like rather than acting the same way every time, there's a 80% chance you'll act a certain way, a 19% chance you'll act in another way, and a 1% chance you'll do something unpredictable.

The clones might act the same way for a moment (like when you try to pass someone to the right on the sidewalk and they turn the same way you do, then you turn to the left and they turn in your way again), but any mirror effect would break up pretty quick.

Whether the universe is fundamentally random or deterministic, no one knows yet. On the quantum level things seems pretty random, but it's possible there's a deterministic principle behind it that just hasn't been figured out yet. I hope everything is fundamentally random, though. Much cooler.